Saturday, September 1, 2012

Lessons for Living

A few weeks ago, S (my wife, who shall be called "S" throughout this blog ;) ) decided to lead a reader's group discussion on a book titled "30 Lessons for Living"...I ended up reading it and am I glad I did! It changed my perspective of life upside down...I was beginning to get frustrated with the way things were going in all aspects of life. But, after reading this book, I realized what is and more importantly what is NOT important in life. I wish I had read this book earlier but it's better late than never... 

A little bit about the book -- the author, Karl Pillemer, a professor of gerontology at Cornell, undertook a project that involved interviewing fifteen hundred American people beyond their seventies to find out what advice they would like to pass on to younger folks based on their own life experiences. Their advice ranged on topics such as how to be happy on a day-to-day basis, the secrets to a successful marriage, tips on raising children, ways to have a fulfilling career, strategies for dealing with illness and loss, and how to grow old fearlessly and well. I have not read a book that has made me introspect as much in a while...I wish more people read this book and more importantly reflect and ponder on what our elders have to say to us!

Came across a TED talk by Pavan Sukhdev titled "Put a value on Nature". The talk makes the following point -- there is no "real" financial accounting of what we give and take from earth in our society at both the individual and corporate level. So, what if we started putting a monetary value to every resource we use from nature? Wouldn't we start being more judicious and wise with how we use natural resources? Food for thought...

Switching to lighter notes, have you heard Maroon5's "Payphone"? Nothing like that song to get your energy levels up and running in the morning...however, only after carefully hearing the song did I realize that the song was actually about a breakup! I find this a lot with pop/rock music...somehow the emotions conveyed by the music and lyrics are exactly opposite. Anyway, I just enjoy listening to this song...profanity alert though!

2 comments:

  1. Alrighty sir, my latest download from audible is '30 lessons for living'!! We started off ridiculing self-help books, but now read (rather listened) and impressed by tips in: 7 habits of highly successful people, your brain at work, and now onto "Drive". Enjoying it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Mamata, S is also reading "Drive" :)

    ReplyDelete